Yeast infection may occur in various parts of the body but the common sites of infection are the mouth and the genitals. There are some topics that people are afraid or shy to talk about; one of them is vaginal yeast infection. As much as possible, women hesitate to discuss with female friends or their partners any discomfort in the genital area like rash in the vagina, pain during intercourse or general discharge.
Nowadays, yeast infection can be remedied. Various over-the-counter yeast infection medications are available. However, if you do not want to experience any of the side effects from prescription and over-the-counter anti-fungal treatments, yeast infection home treatment may just be right for you. Many of these home remedies are found in your kitchen and are conveniently accessible.
This article will be discussing some common home remedies applicable to cure yeast infection in the oral and genital parts, although most suggestions will be appropriate for female genital yeast infection.
Garlic is the most versatile ingredient that you can find in the kitchen. Aside from lowering blood pressure and cholesterol levels, garlic has anti-fungal properties that can treat yeast infection.
- Garlic can be eaten or taken as a pill. If you can’t eat raw garlic because of its strong smell, you can ingest garlic in gel pills. This is a good way to treat oral yeast infection or thrush.
- Garlic may burn a bit but it is effective when applied to the skin or around the vagina. Using garlic pods, make a paste by crushing the garlic. This can also be applied to other parts of the body with yeast infection.
- Cut a small piece of garlic and wrap it in a cheese cloth. You can insert it into the vagina for at least 20 minutes. Make sure to leave a part of the cheesecloth out for easy retrieval.
You can also use yogurt to treat your yeast infection. However, only unsweetened yogurt can be used which contains the live acidophilus bacteria. Using sweetened yogurt will worsen the infection because yeast actually thrives on sugar.
- Eat yogurt everyday because good bacteria in your body will help keep a balance of bad and good bacteria and will lessen the risk of infections. In a few days, you will observe relief from yeast infection.
- Use yogurt to be inserted in the vagina usually before bedtime. There are three ways to do this. First, you can scoop a tablespoon of unsweetened yogurt and directly insert into your vagina. Secondly, you can make yogurt popsicles using the fingers of a plastic hand gloves and freezing them. Get one popsicle and insert into the vagina. This is a bit messy so you can use sanitary napkin to avoid dripping. Finally, you can also use a tampon dipped in yogurt and insert in the vagina for at least an hour. Do not forget to remove it after one hour.
Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil also possesses anti-fungal properties.
- Put a few drops of tea tree oil to a glass of water and use as mouth wash. Be careful not to ingest the mouthwash because tea tree oil can be toxic.
- Using a tampon coated with KY or any lubricant, pour a few drops of tea tree oil and insert into the vagina for at least half an hour. Do the routine twice a day, in the morning and before bedtime to relieve you of the discomfort of yeast infection.
Vinegar is known to have many curative properties. It is considered an amazing cure for infections caused by bacteria and fungi.
- Use unfiltered apple cider vinegar. Mix one tablespoon of apple cider vinegar with a glass of water and use it as a mouthwash for gargling. If the taste of apple cider vinegar is tolerable, then you can drink more than one glass of water-vinegar solution to relieve your oral yeast infection.
- One cup of vinegar can also be mixed in a bathtub of warm water. Soak in the vinegar bath solution for at least 20 minutes. Dry the vaginal area using super absorbent paper.
Strange, sticky but effective! Yes, honey can also be used to treat yeast infection.
- Use a cotton swab to apply honey to the mouth affected with oral thrush or yeast infection. You will feel relief after a few application.
- For vaginal yeast infection, apply a half cup of honey on the area around and in the vagina. Sit for at least 20 minutes before staking a warm bath to remove the honey on your genital parts. Dry the vaginal area with a super absorbent paper. Repeat the same instruction 2 x a day, in the morning and in the evening.
Yeast infection can be treated. For people who prefer home made remedies, there are countless resources to get information from. What we have listed here are only a few common remedies that others have tried and tested. They may be helpful but you still need to consult your doctor to confirm that you have yeast infection and from there, you can start your yeast infection home treatment.