Tioconazole is a generic medicine used topically for treating vaginal yeast infection. Like other azole anti-fungal, tioconazole stops the overgrowth of Candida yeast that causes the fungal infection.
Formulation and Dosage
Tioconazole comes in ointment form in 300 mg with 6.5% active Tioconazole ingredient. It is a one-dose ointment with a disposable pre-filled applicator. A single dose at bedtime or as directed by your doctor is effective cure for vaginal yeast infection only. Other types of fungal infection may need a different type of treatment.
Tioconazole is available over-the-counter under the brand name Vagistat 1.
Side Effects of Tioconazole
When using Tioconazole ointment and you observed discomfort or side effects listed below, immediately stop using the medicine and seek medical help.
- Vaginal itching, burning or pain
- Increased need to urinate
- Shortness of breath
- Closing of your throat
- Swelling of your lips, face, or tongue
- Severe dizziness
- Abdominal pain
- Fever and chills
Helpful Information When Using Tioconazole
It is important to read the instructions carefully before using Tioconazole ointment. There are important information to remember so that your yeast infection will be treated completely by drug.
- Do not use tampon, douches, spermicides or other products applied to the vagina.
- Contraceptives like condoms and diaphragms may weaken the rubber and will not prevent pregnancy or sexually transmitted diseases.
- Sexual intercourse is not allowed while under medication.
- Occurrence of mild burning, itching or irritation in the vaginal area is normal and nothing to worry about.
- Tell your doctor if you have allergic reaction to other azole antifungal products or other medicines.
- If you are pregnant, do not use this product for self-medication. Consult your doctor when you suspect you have vaginal yeast infection; he may prescribe Tioconazole and instruct you on how to apply the medicine during pregnancy.
- If you are breastfeeding, ask your doctor first before using Tioconazole.
If your infection does not stop in 3 days after using this drug, tell your doctor immediately.